This is the written pattern to go with the video tutorial on my YouTube channel for the crochet newborn baby beanie hat. This hat is sized to fit approx age newborn, or up to a 14.5″ head circumference. I hope it is easy to follow. I have tried to write it up as beginner friendly as possible because this is a perfect first project. It works up quickly and only uses a few stitches so it is a good way to get some practice but still have something wearable for your baby at the end. This hat makes a fantastic new baby gift aswell.
Newborn Baby Beanie Hat (Free Crochet Pattern)
To make this hat you will need a 4.5mm crochet hook and some double knit yarn. I used light grey and mint for the contrasting flower. You will also need a tape measure, a yarn needle and some scissors.
Gauge: At the end of round 4, your hat should measure 3.9″ in diameter. The finished length should be 5.25″.
You will use the following stitches:
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
slst – slip stitch
st – stitch
fpdc – front post double crochet
bpdc – back post double crochet
1. make a magic loop, ch3, work 11dcs in loop, join with slst in top of ch3 (12)
2. ch3, turn, dc in same st as ch, work 2dcs in each st around, join with slst in top of ch3 (24)
3. ch3, turn, dc in same st as ch, *dc in next st, 2dcs in next st* repeat from *-* around, end with dc in last st, join with slst in top of ch3 (36)
4. ch3, turn, dc in same st as ch, *dc in next 2sts, 2dcs in next st* repeat from *-* around, end with dc in last 2sts, join with slst in top of ch3 (48)
5-12. ch2, turn, dc in same st as ch and around, join with slst in top of 1st dc (48)
13. ch1, turn, *fpdc, bpdc*, repeat around, join with slst in top of 1st st
14. bind off and weave in ends
1. make a magic loop, ch1, work sc in loop, *ch4, work sc in loop*, repeat from *-* four more times, ch4, join with slst in top of 1st sc
2. ch1, turn, work sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc into each petal chain space around, join with slst in top of 1st sc
3. bind off and weave in ends, attach flower to hat
I hope you find this free pattern useful and make a baby beanie hat of your own. Please let me know if you do make one so I can see your amazing work. You can tag me on social media (@adeleuyancrochet) or better still why not join our Facebook group so we can all see!
4 thoughts on “Newborn Baby Beanie Hat (Free Crochet Pattern + Video)”
Your items are lovely I am looking forward to having a go of your patterns thank you 😊
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you very much Jan.
Me Too! Im working on the newborn beanie with you on you tube tutorial. thank you so much you are fabulous Ivy
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you Ivy, I’m so glad you like it!