Is there anything cuter than a baby in a baby bear hat? I love how adorable these hats are, especially considering how quick they are to make. This is an easy project so will be perfect for a beginner. The pattern can be used to make a basic beanie aswell, but the bear ears really make the hat for me, so I add them on as many things as possible.
To make your own baby bear hat, you will need a 6mm crochet hook, double knit yarn, a tape measure, a pair of scissors and a yarn needle.
This pattern is for a hat to fit a newborn, with a head circumference of up to 14.5″. At the end of round 3, the hat should measure approximately 4″ in diameter. Please bear in mind that I crochet quite tightly, so you may need to change your hook size to get the right diameter. Use whichever hook you need to get the correct hat size. When you have finished your hat, the length should be around 5.25”. You can add or remove length rows as needed, to get the right size.
Baby Bear Hat (Free Crochet Pattern)
With a 6mm crochet hook and two strands of double knit yarn held together –
1. make a magic loop, ch2, work 12dcs in loop, join with slst in top of 1st dc, pull centre yarn tail tight to close magic loop (12)
2. (inc row) ch2, turn, work 2dcs in st at base of ch and each st around, join with slst in top of 1st dc (24)
3. (inc row) ch2, turn, work 2dcs in st at base of ch, dc in next st, *2dcs in next st, dc in next st*, repeat from – around, join with slst in top of 1st dc (36)
4-8. ch2, turn, work dc in st at base of ch and in each st around, join with slst in top of 1st dc (36)
9. ch1, turn, fpdc around 1st st of previous row, *bpdc around next st of previous row, fpdc around next st of previous row*, repeat from *-* around to end, join with slst in top of 1st fpdc
10. bind off and weave in ends
11. make a magic loop, ch2, work 6dcs in loop, pull centre yarn tail tight to close magic loop (6)
12. ch1, work 2scs in each st across, bind off, leaving a long tail to attach ear to hat (12)
13-14. repeat rows 11-12
15. use the long tail left on the ears to attach them to the hat, I like to attach the ears between the 2nd and 4th rows on the hat
I hope you have enjoyed this free baby bear hat crochet pattern. If you make one, please let me know so I can see your amazing work. You can tag me on social media (@adeleuyancrochet) or why not join our Facebook group to show off your creations.