This is another one of those patterns that I have made many of over the years. Headband earwarmers work up really quickly and look very cute. I think the thing I love the most is that they can be worn over a ponytail. That is something I have struggled with in the past, keeping the girls ears warm when they want to wear their hair up. They don’t like wearing a hat over their ponytail and to be fair, it does look pretty uncomfortable so I can see why they wouldn’t like it. This was our compromise. They get their ponytails and I get to cover their ears so I know they are warm ❤
To make your own headband earwarmer, you will need a 5mm crochet hook and double knit yarn in the colour of your choice. I let my girls choose their favourite colours, so I know there will be no fighting over wearing them. You will also need a tape measure, a pair of scissors and a yarn needle.
This pattern should fit an age 6-10 years or up to about a 21″ head. The finished earwarmer should measure approximately 17.25″ in unstretched length and 3.25″ width.
Crochet Headband Earwarmer (Free Pattern)
1. ch17, hdc in 3rd chain from hook and across (15)
2-41. ch2, working in back loops only, hdc in stitch at base of chain and each stitch across (15)
42. join the two short ends together with slip stitch, to form a tube
43. bind off and weave in all ends
1. make a magic loop, ch2, work 16 dcs into loop, join with slst in top of 1st dc, pull centre tail to tighten (16)
2. ch1, do not turn, sc in same st, *ch4, sk 1st, sc in next st*, rep *-* until last st, ch4, join with slst in top of 1st sc
3. ch1, do not turn, *work sc, hdc, dc, trc, dc, hdc, sc, all into one chain space*, rep *-* around, join with a slst in top of 1st sc, bind off
4. rejoin yarn in one of the skipped stitches on round 2, ch1, sc in same st, *ch3, sc in next skipped stitch*, rep from *-* around, ch3, join with slst in top of 1st sc
5. ch1, do not turn, *work sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc, all into one chain space*, rep *-* around, join with slst in top of 1st sc, bind off
6. make a magic loop, ch1, *sc into loop, ch4*, rep *-* seven more times, join with slst in top of 1st sc
7. ch1, do not turn, *work sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc, all into one chain space*, rep *-* around, join with a slst in top of 1st sc, bind off
8. using the centre tail of the smaller flower, layer and stitch the small flower on top of the larger flower
9. stitch the flower onto the headband earwarmer
10. weave in all ends
I hope you find this free pattern useful and make a headband earwarmer of your own. Please let me know if you do make one so I can see your amazing work. You can tag me on social media (@adeleuyancrochet) or better still why not join our Facebook group so we can all see!